View Single Post
Old 01-24-2017, 09:22 PM
ROLLGUY

UPDATE

Well, the problem is still there, and I have not been paid for the work yet. Dave has just been warming the car up for a while before going to work, or parking it in the garage when available. I got a suggestion from Marc at Sun Valley Mercedes transmissions today, and it sounds promising. Marc had the same problem once, and tried everything to fix it. He told me how he diagnosed the problem. What he did, was to leave the car in the cold, and then use a hair drier to heat the area around the shifter. He found that the switch was sticking, thereby giving the trans computer a wrong signal. Once the cab was heated (or the area around the shifter heated to test his theory), the car shifted like it should. He replaced the entire shifter assembly (evidently the switch is hard to replace, or not available), and that fixed the problem. Fortunately Dave has an identical parts car. I will replace the shifter if that turns out to be the problem. I feel bad for having replaced the conductor plate (about $500 parts and labor), and that not being the problem. I probably should have called Marc first, rather than throw parts at it.........Rich

EDIT: Reading back, this was suggested but I must have missed it. I guess not having the proper (expensive) test equipment threw me off. A hair drier is not that expensive......Rich

Last edited by ROLLGUY; 01-24-2017 at 09:35 PM.