View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 06:13 PM
Control Freak

Shifter removal:

Remove wood panel (grip edge by cup holder, pull up)
Unplug range switch, there are 2 harnesses
The 2 wire harness is the backup lights, I believe this one has a retention clip
The multi wire harness is the computer harness, there is no retention clip on this one, it just pulls straight back, there is a grip on the plug head
Remove 4 x 5 mm hex bolts
Lift shifter out of floor pan, it will still be attached to the linkage
Clip comes off (same one they use on the old MBs)
Take shift knob off (grasp black collar under knob, rotate, pull knob off)
Look at body of shifter, there are 4 tabs around the perimeter that must be freed up to lift off the cover. I cut little strips out of a plastic food container to act as wedges to keep the tabs open after prying, or you will never get all 4 released at once.
Take the cover off, you will see the switch cartridge, the PRND4321 LEDs are in the top of the cartridge. Grasp the cartridge and pull up.

The cartridge comes apart pretty easy, just watch out for the spring in the W/S switch lever.

When you go to put it together you will see a little window in the side with an R next to it. The window has a white flag in it that is only present when the mechanism in the cartridge is aligned to the R position. You also need to have the shifter in the R position so that the pin on the main shaft goes into the slot in the mechanism on the bottom of the cartridge.
2013 E350 Bluetec (my DD)

both my kids cars went to junkyard in 2023
2008 ML320 CDI (Older son’s DD) fatal transmission failure, water soaked/fried rear SAM, numerous other issues, just too far gone to save (165k miles)
2008 E320 Bluetec (Younger son's DD) injector failed open and diluted oil with diesel, spun main bearings (240k miles)

1998 E300DT sold to TimFreeh
1987 300TD sold to vstech