View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murrell View Post
I drove my '91 300-SEL to a local MB dealer for parts a few years ago. It's a clean car.

As I walked to the parts dept. I passed a number of employees who looked at me like I was dragging the ebola virus into the dealership.

A year or so later I called the dealerships service dept. and inquired into having them do some trouble-shooting. I ended up talking to the shop foreman who had the same attitude I had already been exposed to the year before.

This problem doesn't exist with just Mercedes-Benz dealers. It extends to dealerships for many other car mfgs. as well. Kids coming out of auto tech schools today have no clue what a carburetor or OBD-I are. Techs who work in the indy shops are becoming far and few in between - getting old - retiring.

If you own one of these relics and plan to keep it, you had best brush up on or develop whatever skills are needed to keep it running.

you should try that with wearing a DIY mechanic attire - the looks you get are nothing short of antichrist.

Usual repairs I can handle, upto pulling out the power unit and rebuilding it or pulling out the axle carrier and rebuilding it or wiring or HVAC. For this specific alignment job I dont own an alignment rack and expected that benz would be able to align this car. Wrong assumption I think.

speaking of other brands - I have asked a mazda parts counter for a part which they said didnt exist for my car - then I pulled up the part number from the web and got them to look it up - welllll

not only the existance was proven but they had it in stock too

1995 E300D - The original humming machine (consumed by Flood 2017)
2000 E320 - The evolution (consumed by flood 2017)