View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 08:29 PM

Here are the last 5 pictures of the second group of 11 pictures. Must have miss one somewhere. Anyway, here is the recap of the first post for those who missed it.

As previously mentioned on my earlier posts regarding the oil burning/smelling/smoking and leaking under the rear bottom of the motor, here is the follow-up/update:

I put the Mercedes wagon on top the front two ramp giving me about 2 or so feet clearance while I was on the ground under the Mercedes. Got under the wagon and saw very clearly and not muddy or dirty transmission and the motor. No need to put in Gunk foam engine cleaner.

I then proceeded to put in the 1 oz oil dye in the oil crankcase. Start the motor and got off the ramps. I ran the motor for a few minutes then drove about 10 miles. Smoke was visible at the back of the Mercedes while driving as I saw the smoke coming out by looking through the rear view mirror. After driving and heading back home to put the Mercedes on the ramp, smoke was also visible under the passenger side door. Lift the hood, smoke (burning oil) was also visible underneath the rear motor near the EGR valve area.

Got the Mercedes back on the ramps again. Turned off the motor. Smelled burning oil and saw smoke near the EGR valve area. Smoke also visible under the passenger door side. I waited for about an hour to cool off the motor. I then go under the motor to see if any leaks showing through the dye using the yellow glasses and the LED flashlight. Here are the pictures of the results below:

Here are the first group of 21 pictures (1-5) below (finally got a camera) showing before and after cleaning up using a rag. (Hope the pictures are not that bad since I am new in this situation). The next 5 pictures are in order on the next thread and thereafter until all the remaining pictures are included in this post. I just wish there is an easier way to post all pictures in the same thread.

Because all of the pictures were line up in the attachments and I could not figure out how to separate the pictures group in between with additional information/comments. I came up with the following:

First 21 pictures refers to before and after cleaning up the motor/transmission area.

The last pictures group of 10 were after putting the oil dye and running/driving the Mercedes and using the LED flashlight (purple spots areas) showing afterwards the oil leakage area. Notice the smoke coming out from the inside the hood area near the egr valve location near the rear motor as well as smoke coming out under the passenger side door.

Oil puddle on the cardboard just underneath straight down from the outer edge of transmission bell on the left/passenger side facing me. Oil leak could be from the above the transmission bell area and dripped down under, causing the oil puddle? I really cannot pinpoint where exactly the oil leak is coming from. I am guessing the rear seal (broken,torn, cracked?) is the culpit that goes in between the transmission gear to the rear motor.in addition, the oil pan gasket seems to be ok and I don't think that is the issue. I am tempted to drive the Mercedes to a mechanic who can actually (hopefully) spot the exact location where the oil leaking is coming from and give me the correct/right diagnosis. Anybody out there have any clues? Comments/feedback is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Smoking, burning, leaking oil behind and under the rear motor issues with pictures-p1010065_01.jpg   Smoking, burning, leaking oil behind and under the rear motor issues with pictures-p1010066_01.jpg   Smoking, burning, leaking oil behind and under the rear motor issues with pictures-p1010067_01.jpg   Smoking, burning, leaking oil behind and under the rear motor issues with pictures-p1010068_01.jpg   Smoking, burning, leaking oil behind and under the rear motor issues with pictures-p1010069_01.jpg