View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 09:18 PM

Here is the film that was going to post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4fJAfXYxWk.

Over all, simpler, more robust than the previous D-Jetronic, with about the same efficiency, if not more efficient (D-Jetronic can easily run too rich due to a sensor/sensing value out of specification, especially once got older and parts wear, especially the M.P.S. diaphragm). My '71 Volkswagen Squareback still has her D-Jetronic and love it more, but even those oft got converted to carburetors.

Here is what Tram said when first purchased the 280TE:
"D- Jetronic wasn't as accurate as you think, plus very prone to breakdown. In the early days of what we now call L- Jetronic, VW called it "AFC Fuel Injection" for "Air Flow Control". It was far more efficient with less moving parts such as trigger points and the MAP sensor to fail, but air flow meters- being electronic- are still prone to problems, and expensive.

The K- Jet (or CIS later CIS-E) system is just as efficient as L Jet, but without the electronic issues. About the only things that go really wrong is the plunger sticks, the O2 sensor goes out of spec, or the differential pressure regulator starts leaking.

It's a really great system. There is a later system called "Motronic" that adds a pair of magnetic crank sensors that while efficient, is adding more electronics again.

What you need to remember about K-Jet is- like everything else- "don't overthink it"!"

Hope this helps.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 280TE - Waiting for heart surgery.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT - Rear ended 23 September 2016 and now looking for a new home.

1979 Mercedes-Benz 300TD - Parted out.

1964 Volkswgen Beetle - Vater's since September 1968 and undergoing a restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - in need of full restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Squareback automatic with F.I. - Vacationing with her caretaker until he is in better health.