View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhitmore View Post
Does the coil have a capicator attached to the negative side? It has been my experience that a whining sound in the radio that correlates to the engine speed is related to the ignition system. I too look forward to your posts and attention to detail and cleanliness that you have. Also very nicely equipped garage that makes us all wish we,had the same. It is also great that you fully document all procedures. You are definitely as asset to the classic car community. You might want to consider writing a book on the cosmetic/mechanical restoration of a W108 car. Publishing a series of article in the MBUSA STAR magazine is also a nice contribution to the hobby.
It does not have a capacitor attached to it. I have a couple left over from another project. I will install one and see if that helps.

I am glad you are enjoying the posts. Don't know I am ready to write a book or if there would be much demand for said book. Articles for the Star magazine would be more doable.

I worked on the dirt shields today. The side facing the tire has a textured surface much like that used on the rocker panels. The back side had a small amount of surface rust near the bottom where the debris sat. There is a rubber gasket on one side and strip caulking is used on the opposite side. I scraped away that caulking before I put the pieces in the bead blaster.

While I thoroughly cleaned up the paint on the back side, I only lightly blasted the textured side so it would be cleaner and to remove grease.

From another previous project, I had a can of black textured paint to use on the textured side. After thoroughly cleaning the shields and going over them with some denatured alcohol, I was ready to paint. I have stretched a piece of wire between two small trees in my backyard. With the hooks I have made from coat hangers, I hung the shields and painted away.