View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markedes View Post
Hi jerhofer,
I just joined the forum, specifically because of your posts. On behalf of many of us, Thank you for all that you do.

I'm particularly interested in your story because I intend to find a 108 for my retirement years.

Regarding your radio, I think you may very well have a constant-on situation. Perhaps there is in fact a separate amplifier that remains powered. An aftermarket radio I installed in my wife's car years back required both an unswitched power source as well as a switched one. Presumably the unswitched source was for the radio's clock. However, there was always power to the speakers. A PIA, and I removed it.

Regarding the whine, I have the same noise in my SDL with the factory Becker. There is no ignition system, though, and I have been told it is "alternator whine." Perhaps someone reading this forum can contribute their electronics knowledge.

At any rate, a schematic of the Becker as well as of the 108 should be useful in tracking this problem down.

Good luck with the car and thanks again for the inspiration.

Mark
No pressure here!!!

I will look into this radio issue when the car is back in the garage.

Good news! Pelican is replacing the coil even though their return policy specifically says they will not take back electrical components. I appreciate them taking care of this. Having posted the entire story on this thread probably didn't hurt my chances. Regardless, I am so pleased that the car is running right. In a situation like this you always wonder if you will find the solution.