View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 01:14 PM
Ten13

Well, I finally was able to do the transaction yesterday for the '78 280CE. It's being towed to my house today or tomorrow. The car came with a stack of very detailed service records/receipts dating back to the mid-90s, when the second owner bought the car. Turns out, she ran the engine dry of oil once, and the engine was replaced (in 2011), at which time they did a major transmission service, so that's cool (for me). She stopped driving it in 2012, when the third owner bought it, drove it a bit, and then was deployed to the Persian Gulf. It did pass SMOG in 2015, and had an oil change at a local garage less than a year ago.

One thing I've picked up on, though, is the number of alternators and batteries the car has been through in the past 7 years: four and three, respectively. Previous experience tells me that this is probably a systemic ground issue, so I'm going to start by replacing vacuum lines and inspecting electrical connections. Does anyone have any sage advice that might further help the search?

Also of interest, the car came with an embossed steel 'card' with the vehicle information and also that of the original buyer. Found it in the factory service manual (completely filled, by the original owner). There is also an official M-B parts / schematic book. See photos.

My five year old son, Enzo, is over the moon about this car -- and is eager to wash it as soon as it comes home!

I'm excited, too, to start digging in and making this a great driver... Anyone in the Lamorinda / East Bay area? I'm in Orinda.
Attached Thumbnails
Barnfind 1978 280ce. Am I crazy to consider?-img_0758.jpg   Barnfind 1978 280ce. Am I crazy to consider?-img_0757.jpg   Barnfind 1978 280ce. Am I crazy to consider?-img_0756.jpg