View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott380SL View Post
I just purchased a 1983 380SL in pretty good shape. The engine runs good but idles around 1,000 rpm, the po said he had the smoke test done and the air flow meter boot needs to be replaced. I want to know what besides the boot what is needed to do the job and if the vacuum lines are special items or just standard hoses? The fan is staying on constant and it is hard to start after it's warmed up.
The next thing is a little strange to me, the fuel pump is wired to the parking lights. I was told to start the car then switch on the lights to turn the pump on. He said when the boot was fixed then I could remove the wire. I am thinking the fuel pump relay must be bad. Any other ideas?

Thanks
Scott

He told me the fuel tank, fuel pump, timing chain and guides and the idle control brain behind the glove box were all replaced.

Congrats on the new purchase Scott, I've always been a fan of the styling of the R129s. I've attached a link to our site's DIY tech articles for future reference; in addition to what others have suggested. We're happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Mercedes-Benz SL-Class R107 (1972-1989) Technical Articles – Pelican Parts