View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 11:14 PM

Finally got the garage unpacked and organized yesterday, so today I swapped in the front brake pads I've been meaning to do for the past few weeks. Now, for the first time in months, I can drive the car without any warning lights on in the dash! It's been a revolving door of bulb-out, worn front pads, and low windscreen washer fluid lamps.

Pretty easy job. Once I got the car jacked up and the wheels off, I realized that I didn't have the fixed calipers like in the DIY article I studied, so I had to whip out the FSM and look over the procedure for my floating calipers. Easy enough, except I snapped a head off of the self-locking retaining bolt that holds the caliper together on the driver's side. My impact wrench had a low battery and the bolt wouldn't budge, so I tried a breaker bar and the thing just popped. Luckily, I was able to get the pin out and use a a pair of pliers to screw out the few threads that were still in place, and of course the new pads come with new retaining bolts, which was a relief.

When I got to the passenger side I made sure to soak it in plenty of WD-40 first, plus charge the battery for my impact wrench a little bit - worked like a charm. It's funny the difference between the first and second time you do something - I probably had the passenger side done in 1/3 the time the driver's side took me.

Ran out of time before I got to the rear pads, but I've got them in hand, and have another day off this Friday, so I think I'll tackle them then.
Dieselmeken 7,5mm | Sportline Interior
My Build Thread