View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Yeah I wouldn't own one of these that's lived in the rust belt. That's just asking for trouble.

The GP replacement issue is due to the fact that people are using the wrong procedure. Remove the intake manifold, start the engine, bring it to operating temperature, shut it off and immediately hit the GPs with the impact gun. They'll come out intact. Trying to remove them from a cold cylinder head is just asking for trouble.
I found out the same technique for myself and walked a forum member thru the process... this is 100% the only way to remove glow plugs off the om606. It's the design of the plug and chamber as well that causes the breakage of the plug. Plus the fact no one knows how glow plugs work or the advantages of aluminum.

As for the rust everyone is saying... It's a matter of care taken from the original owner. These cars have been around for 20 years and held up that's pretty good. If you don't clean your cars in winter and clean the undercarriage, expect rust. What else did you think would happen?

I've never had serious structural rust on w210s. My '98 was the car that required the most rust repair and it's cause it wasn't taken care of by the owner. I welded arches and sections of both rockers in. Then on the other hand, my 99 with 433k has barely any rust on it and was cleaned and detailed religiously. Both northern cars from jersey
2004 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 220k