View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 07:02 PM

Cylinder Head Interchange/Compatability for M108

Hi all,

It's been a little over 6-months since my first blown cylinder head gasket on my 1967 250S (twin Zeniths). Performed a diy JB Weld fix and it tootled along just fine until 2 weeks ago - almost 4k miles on that repair.

On both locations, a water passage at the #5 head was the culprit. Super heated water (I assume) carved a way to the combustion chamber and, this time was responsible for over 2 gallons to be vaporized in about 18 miles. Did a coolant pressure test and #5 chamber readily filled up with coolant. All the other chambers were dry as can be.

So, I've done a second JB Weld repair on the head; but I really need a new head. Some previous owner had this milled down to 83.85mm - so it's running a tick to thin.

I have a Hollander (1982) interchange list that suggest that the only interchangeable head is No.: 108-010-16-20 (I am adding dashes to make sure we all see the separation of digits).

Does anyone here know of any other cylinder head that will work?

Here are my details:
My Cylinder Head: 108-016-02-01
My Engine Block: 108-920-10-031478

Here are the pix to prove the numbers, along with one of the bad water passage damage.

I have read mixed reviews about the use of solid copper head gaskets for regular street use. It would allow me to actually have the head milled down further to a workable surface and then use a custom gasket expressly to make up the difference from the stock height.

Thanks in advance for any illumination. I am hoping this 2nd repair can last a little longer.
Attached Thumbnails
Cylinder Head Interchange/Compatability for M108-water-passage-failure_2392.jpg   Cylinder Head Interchange/Compatability for M108-mycylhead-number_1634.jpg   Cylinder Head Interchange/Compatability for M108-my-engline-block-numb_bw.jpg