View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 11:33 PM

i have been making good progress on dissembling, cleaning, and inspecting the new engine. i recently got a 6L ultrasonic cleaner and its fantastic at stripping the years of crud built up on all the parts.

i also finally got the parts to begin installing the water to air intercooler. i still need a few plumbing bits and a water pump but hopefully in the next few weeks it should be working.

one thing i have started working on is examining the timing advance mechanism and determining how to change the limits and the curve.

the round pucks of steel are the flyweights these ride on two hardened curved tracks in both the upper and lower housing. as the rotational speed increases the weights force outward rotating the outer housing which is keyed to the pump drive intermediate shaft relative to the lower housing with the chain sprocket. the springs fit into two holes in the housings and are retained by the half barrel pins which in turn are held captive by the vacuum pump cam plate. inside the springs are a set of rods these are the limit stops i removed the springs to compare the travel limits with and without the pins installed the housing can accommodate another .125" of rotational travel without contacting anything. i am still working out the pin length vs degrees of advance once i know this ill try to see if i can get it to around 10* total advance. the next step is to measure the spring rate and see if i can find something the same dimensions with a slightly lower rate to increase the timing advance rate.