View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 11:42 PM

its been a while since i have given any updates on the project. i haven't made much progress on the drive train side of the car lately as i am waiting on my pump to get back from dieselmeken. as for the rest of the car i have been doing a lot of modifications to the styling and repairing the inevitable rust i found at the same time. i found a great deal of rust on the passenger side behind the bumper cladding after i removed it i also found extensive sheet metal damage from an accident a long time ago that had been shoddily repaired so i took a long time welding and hammering out the entire rear of the car to get it right before re-spraying it. i also did a compression test and found the current engine is ok for a while yet which is partially why im putting off building the next one till i have more time and money to spare.

once i had finished the repair i also took the time to mount a w115 bumper and a set of w116 rear over riders as they both fit easily with little modification.

some other little things i have been working on are changing the interior lights to all led and updating the fixtures.

adding a new hood ornament also from a w115 along with the matching front bumper im still looking for a set of w116 over-riders to match the rear however they are hard to find in decent condition

on the engine side of things im working on building a new manifold out of Inconel 625 to feed the set of compounds ill be running in the future i got a pile of plate and filler wire for tig welding the tubes just haven't had a chance to get around to it as work has swamped me for the past few months.

to help make the car less deadly once i get the engine sorted out i got a set of s600 front calipers that ill be fitting once i go to larger front wheels the rotors are 320mmX30mm. i will be fabbing new spindle caliper mounts and tie rod mounting systems to both allow me to mount these beasts up and eliminate bump steer.

and finally the new engine for the car has been under the knife for a while receiving extensive modifications to the block and head. ill also be getting a set of custom forged rods from Pauter soon and a new custom cam that i am prototyping along with a full valve train upgrade (if it works i may end up selling it as a package along side head porting to anyone interested in pushing a 617 to 606 territory) i am working on a new dash system to replace the current second gen one im running im looking at going fully holographic heads up projection using an arduino based data logging system.