View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 02:09 AM

So, I finally pulled the tensioner arm (had to wait for a 12mm hex socket), and just like the pulley, the bearing was completely shot. I replaced both the tensioner arm and pulley with new INA parts, and replaced the missing dust caps for both.

I also treated myself to a new Continental serpentine belt, and decided to upgrade from the original 9-blade metal fan to the newer 11-blade plastic fan from the OM606, as well as a Sachs fan clutch and replacement fan shroud for my cracked original. Unfortunately, I didn't realize at the time that I could've probably upgraded to a 2-piece shroud, but oh well.

While I was there, I figured I'd replace the vacuum pump. I had no idea what kind of condition it was in, other than the fact that it looked like the newer style (no crimped cover) and was obviously an OEM replacement rather than the original OE part from the factory (Star was ground off). It looked like there was a slight leak from the gasket, so that was another reason to pull the thing. It turns out it was the newer style, and the gasket was indeed coming apart in a couple places. It was also stamped with a 1997 manufacture date - the new one was made in 2013.

Unfortunately, when I was putting everything back together, I snapped one of the vacuum pump bolts. Hoping the other 5 bolts would seal the pump against the timing case well enough, I just put everything back together, went to bed, and drove the car to work the next day. The good news - the mysterious grinding noise is gone, and the car seems to run a little quieter overall - I think at least some of the ticking was attributable to the worn bearings. The bad news is that I have a new oil leak (from the VP, of course).

So the car is parked back in the garage while I wait for six new bolts to arrive, as well as a new gasket (just in case). Probably get the car torn down again over the weekend to see just how bad the damage is - really hoping the bolt didn't snap flush with the timing case, as I'd like to be able to get a pair of pliers on it rather than drill it out.

I was briefly pretty upset with myself, but I really think sometimes we just have to make some mistakes, and that this kind of stuff is just part of being a gearhead. It seems like every job has a little setback, especially for a hobbyist like me, and I guess I'm okay with that.
Dieselmeken 7,5mm | Sportline Interior
My Build Thread