View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 11:39 AM
ROLLGUY

2005 CDI - 193,000 miles on factory ATF

Yes that's right, 193,000 miles, and the ATF was not changed in that time. The lockup clutch had a slight amount of shudder when I bought the car, and the red tab on the trans filler tube cap was intact. I suspected the fluid had never been changed, so I ordered up a trans kit from our sponsor. I also got two gallons of MaxLife synthetic ATF, and went to a friends shop to use his lift to change the fluid. My suspicions were correct, in that the fluid was greenish-brown. I did the same job on my previous CDI, and it had a worse shudder condition that a fluid change almost completely fixed. A dose of "Shudder Fix" (friction modifier) cured it completely. I was able to remove about 7.5 quarts from the trans using compressed air through the left side trans cooler banjo fitting (bolt removed). You can see the color of the fluid in the second photo, on the bell housing. After filling the trans, and taking it on a test drive, it shifts butter smooth.
Attached Thumbnails
2005 CDI - 193,000 miles on factory ATF-cdi-oil-trans-.jpg   2005 CDI - 193,000 miles on factory ATF-cdi-trans-fluid.jpg  

Last edited by ROLLGUY; 06-12-2017 at 04:52 PM.