View Single Post
Old 06-18-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
It looks like BSPP ( British Standard Pipe Parallel ) but could be a DIN / ISO / German equivalent. Go to Discount Hydraulic Hose and look at their thread ID PDF.

On the plug, where the threads hit the under head hex, there should be a slight taper from the hex to the threads. ( this is a reverse of a tapered seat spark plug. ) The outer sharp edge bites into the soft aluminum cooler boss. This is typical for BSPP in soft metals. If used on steel, a sealing washer is used.

This should plug screw in easily until the under head hits the boss so you have a thread issue that needs addressed.
Doubt Behr would have used a British thread! Looking at that DHH pdf, it looks like my screw plug may be designed to have an o-ring. But I don't know if it is an original screw plug MB part A0019971530. No pictures on net that I could find. I am able to screw the plug all the way in. I am sure it had no crush washer on when I removed it. It may not do any harm to have an aluminum washer plus a little sealant. Just went out and picked up two washers. Probably use flat one plus some Permatex HT sealant.

New rad and cooler now in. Job complete. No leaks yet!
Attached Thumbnails
Oil Cooler Drain-img_1561.jpg  

Last edited by Graham; 06-18-2017 at 04:18 PM.