Thread: kjetronic
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyslc View Post
One of the other problems in searching US based sellers is the model type. They all lead to 380/450 models . Obviously not many 280SLC's were imported to America.

This leads to the problem of trying to find part No's etc. I believe only 9000 280 models were built so getting parts can be a problem.

This is why many people even in the US decide to rip out a perfectly good functioning MB system or even entire engine. They claim they can't find parts.

I agree that the MB system for identifying the correct part/replacement part is not what most American mechanics are used to doing. Thailand may be the same.

As a Euro MB owner in the US, one that doesn't take his car to the MB dealer for service, I believe having access to the Mercedes EPC (electronic parts catalog) is the first step in being able to successfully maintain the cars. You punch in your VIN. Find the area of the car you are working on. Then find the part number(s) for the parts you need. Then start googling or going to the various MB Dealer web sites for price quotes, or just google. It's not hard. I have a handful of sites I buy from:
- MB Classic Center
- FCP Euro
- ********AZ
- My mechanic's WorldPac supplier
- eBay
In all the cases above, I start with a part number, not the year and model.

I've seen some wonderful cars ruined because people did not understand how the system works.