View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 02:29 PM

The hole in the LCA that the bushings get pressed into are round. The bushing itself is round on 2 sides and flat on 2 other sides. The bushing goes in so that the round ends are in line with the control arm.

If my recollection of a round hole is correct, and if the hole in the bushing is in the center, then installing them wrong would not affect adjustment but would affect how much support the bushing had when any force was applied in line with the control arm.

I think at least part of the problem is in the adjustment.

New front end parts for my 2 126s took the slop out and eliminated most of the tendency to follow the road crown. I had the same alignment characteristics as before the install. Techs are generally incompetent and it frequently takes 2 alignments to get things to be acceptable. Many simply want to "adjust to specs". They are too uneducated (synonym - ignorant) to consider adjusting so that it steers correctly.

To make a point, I ask the tech if he owns a drill. When he confirms, I point out that most people don't buy the drill because they want one. The real reason they buy the drill is to get the hole. OP didn't buy bushings and alignment because he cared 1 little bit about bushings and alignment. He bought because he wanted the car to handle as it was designed.

Generally, the 1st alignment gets it close, the 2nd gets it to the acceptable level. The OP is at the 1st point where he needs to get it close. I would request a refund if they can't get it adjusted. You may want to keep an eye on the alignment process. A friend of mine showed me how he can bump the head of the machine to get any reading he wants. The part that is mounted to the wheel can be tapped on forcing it to move independently from the wheel. If the specs are off a little, a tap on the head will get it to line right up without making a proper adjustment. Then blame any steering issues on the car or tire.

I can give you a dropbox link to my zipped 126 FSM if that will help.
85SD 240K & stopped counting painted, putting bac together. 84SD 180,000. sold to a neighbor and member here but I forget his handle. The 84 is much improved from when I had it. 85TD beginning to repair to DD status. Lots of stuff to do.