View Single Post
Old 03-29-2003, 10:21 AM
gimme a low-tech 240D

DIY - wood trim dash restoration

.....in answer to Peter's question on Aaron's car, I thought this deserved its own thread in case somebody title searches "wood trim restoration" on this forum - or if anybody plans to refurbish their dash this Summer, or has anything to add.

Have never restored dash wood on 280SE/8..... but comparable vintage Heckflosse wood is easily removable, and the /8 should not be so different. I once transplanted & refinished wood from '66 220S rotted body, hopeless parts car into '63 190c. The results were fantastic!!

Easily the most gratifying improvement i've made on ANY of my cars - and I'll do it again when finally getting my hands on another 190 fin-body, a diesel of course, that comes stock with bakelite plastic dash instead of wood.

Here's what i learned and how it went....

Corner air vent chambers are held with springs from behind dash - just pop the spring clips and vent chambers pull right out. Unscrew electric switch collars, pull the radio, glove box, clock, ash-tray, heater controls, etc.

When all the fiddly bits have been removed, reach underneath for blue plastic thumb nuts behind the dash that grip threaded metal dowels fixed into wood fascia. You might also have to take out the radio speaker to reach in and grab plastic thumb nuts securing wood strip at the windshield.

Gather all wood trim including window frame pieces, marking the back of window bits for reassembly in same location..... then sand, stain and varnish the wood all together..... that way you can get the same exact shade, rubbing the stain to achieve identical results on each piece.

The entire wood project might take 2 full weekends for somebody with very good mechanical ability and blue collar stamina to see it through completion.

previously owned:

'83 240D 4-spd
'77 280SEL 4-spd
'74 280/8
'72 250/8
'65 220Sb 4-spd
'63 220Sb 4-spd
'63 190c 4-spd
'61 220Sb 4-spd
'60 190b 4-spd