View Single Post
Old 03-30-2003, 09:21 AM
Electronics - how much is too much?

I have been getting continually more frustrated the more modern cars that I drive. I drive a lot, but more recently those that have annoyed me are:

1999 VW Golf 1.6 manual - when changing from 1st to 2nd gear, the engine seems to reduce engine power and bring it back in slowly, as if trying to make things smoother and reduce driveline shudder. WHY? I can do that myself, and it makes it dreadfully slow when trying to accelerate hard, as it pauses for at least a whole second.

2000 Seat Leon 1.8 Turbo manual (180bhp - as found in Golf and Audi TT) - When keeping foot down from low revs right up to ~ 6000+ rpm, the engine very noticeabley was adjusting something.. it would be fast from 2000-3000 rpm, then very suddenly (at a guaranteed rpm) stop accelerating so hard, then at about 5300 rpm it again very suddenly came on pulling hard again up to the limiter.

Modern Automatics - No major gripes, but I don't like the electronic control and reduction of engine power during changes etc. It gives very smooth changes yes, but they feel artificial and its often impossible to get the rapid, near-instance upchange we can get when going hard in our older MBs.

Plus many many cars with fly-by-wire throttles, I just don't feel like I'm controlling the engine at all.

So how much is too much? Don't get me wrong, I'm 20 years old and I love electronics (who would choose not to have ABS? - it's there but you don't notice it), but i don't appreciate them when they make me feel they are driving the car rather than me.

2.5-16v 1990 90,000m Astral Silver
2.0E 8v 1986 107,000m Black 2nd owner