View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 12:19 PM

One of our daughters has and still runs a fair sized ebay selling site. I asked her just this week on how she prices things. She said she compares on several sites what the average price is they go at. Unless she is quite familiar with that area of the market all the time.

Otherwise the items do not move anymore in general. She has been at this for years out of Ottawa, Ontario. I specifically asked her to give me a selling price on a pewter indian statue I picked up at a yard sale for 25 cents at one time.. In less than a minute she told me the last two sold for 85.00 and 135.00 American. That is over 100.00 to 180.00 Canadian at this time.

I also picked up a classic book not for the value but for the story itself while they were visiting. It was mint and I got a quick lesson on book sales and values from her. She told me that would be selling at about three dollars in todays market on her site if she ran with it.

The week before they arrived I picked up a rear tine 5 horsepower tiller in decent condition as well. For seventy five dollars that runs like a champ. This was just a stroke of good luck.

Lightning struck though when I purchased a lot of replacement vinyl windows new the same week. They have almost doubled in price since the last batch. I can no longer access true wholesale on them anymore. Also a rugged new plastic culvert pipe. As my age gets higher the retail prices on many things just seem to track right along as well.

So when selling things today in a market of extreme availability. . You usually have to do a little research. You can add a little value for new over used but you almost have to base the price on the market in general. Just my daughters opinion and perhaps a reasonable approach in mine.