View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdragotta View Post
So that's what it's called...a pinch bolt. Makes sense to me! I've actually already tried using a drift...after a buttload of PB Blaster. What do you think about a little heat? The LCA is being COMPLETELY replaced.

Chris Dragotta
1991 300D OM602 Turbo
Benson, NC
I believe the brake and hub has been disassembled too along with the dust shield - Heat the pinch up, put a candle on it such that the wax is sucked into the shaft cavity and smack the bolt with something very heavy and strong, the bolt should start to move. I have ran into such a bolt once and had to wrap the pinch with a rag and put on some acid to eat the rust away first. Then my 5lb hammer and heavy punch took it out. If you have an air hammer it can push it out too.

tip: get hold of some acetone, mix it half n half in a steel cup with some old ATF, mix it up and put it on the pinch and bolt threads too. This mix is far more potent than PB blaster. its known as witch's blood and some old machinists who work with it say that if ATF and acetone does not seep through it - its probably one piece.

1995 E300D - The original humming machine (consumed by Flood 2017)
2000 E320 - The evolution (consumed by flood 2017)