View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 11:28 AM
is thinning the herd

State legal and federally legal are not the same thing.

What you can do is buy a less than 25 year old car in Canada, drive it across the border, when they ask if you have anything to declare, say no. Drive across the border. Some states or even just a lax location of the BMV will allow you to title a car without a customs clearance summary. Washington is on the Canadian border, so you'll see less than 25 stuff there that got driven across. Same with New York. Florida has exceptionally lenient titling rules so if you can show up with a car, they'll give you a title for it. There used to be a thread on one of the Nissan site where someone got a car title for a horse in Florida to prove how overly easy it is to do it. And how the people selling R34 Skylines as "legal" are full of it.

You now have a state legal, federally illegal car. You've committed a few crimes in the process. And customs could seize and destroy the car at any point if they found out you had it. Likelihood of customs coming after you over one car, pretty low, but its a possibility. Happens more with hot button cars like Nissan Skylines. There were two illegal R33 Skylines in my town, but had Ohio titles. When the owners listed them for sale feds showed up acting like they were there to buy the car and seized it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l7JCb3RDqQ This is a friend of a friend, had a state legal Ohio title. But the car is less than 25 years old and was somehow smuggled in a few years ago. Car had been on the road here for years before it was found, seized, and destroyed. Ohio seized a destroyed a blue one a couple weeks later.

I import cars from Japan somewhat regularly under the 25 year law, and have brought stuff through Canada less than 25 years old on letters of compliance. Been there, done that, and have 2 more cars en route. You'll never get a 2007 Mercedes into this country from Japan. Well, not until 2032. The car you mentioned isn't even legal in Canada yet.

Net effect. State legal DOES NOT EQUAL Federally Legal.

Sidenote, in Japan it is considered more prestigious to drive a car in the drive handle of the country it was built in. More than half of the Mercedes I see at auction in Japan are LHD. If you go into the main dealer in Japan you can order LHD or RHD, and the dealers mostly stock LHD. In affluent ends of major cities the parking garages will have payment kiosks on both sides of the lanes because so many people drive LHD Benzes and BMWs.

Nissan GTR - Nissan Skyline GTS25T - Toyota GTFour - Rover Mini - Toyota Land Cruiser HJ60 - Cadillac Eldorado - BMW E30 - BMW 135i