View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFini View Post
Thank you all for your comments. As you might have noticed from my signature line, I am no stranger to vintage Mercedes-Benzes and I know exactly what I am getting into here.
While it isn't in _my_ sig line, I have 40 + years in and around the auto repair business. When I had my shop I looked at many used cars for customers and recommended certain ones based on their needs and budget.

I'm not a brand snob, I'll drive anything that runs and I've driven a few things that don't. My car selection is based on what is easily repaired and cost effective to purchase.

The point is that while you are familiar with older MB, the car in question will be out of your reach for even the simplest repair. Other threads have lamented that many independent MB shops won't touch cars older than 2000 or so. Unless you find a reliable shop than is willing to look after the car, she is taking a huge risk. At minimum she has extended loss of transport during a breakdown and at max the car is write off.

Quote:
To those of you who hijacked the thread by recommending all sorts of other conveyances, thanks, but no thanks. I wasn't asking for recommendations, I was asking for someone who was selling a car that fit my parameters to let me know about it.
My recommendations were based on her actual needs and if someone else in a similar situation looked at this thread. Proceed at your own peril.

Quote:
My daughter just took ownership of a '93 190E Sportline LE, a solid ten-footer with 100% fully functioning accessories and only 168k miles, for $3,200; the W201 with the M103 is just about as bulletproof as a mechanical device can get, and they tolerate neglect exceedingly well: I regularly flog my '84 190E with M102 motor (which everyone knows is just two-thirds of an M103) all day long, both on and off the race track, with nothing other than regular maintenance every once in a while, and it has never ever let me down.

Never. Ever. And I anticipate nothing less with this new addition to the family.

Best Regards,
Rob

Unless the trans has been rebuilt, it is getting close to losing reverse and / or chewing off the governor gear.

If this still has CIS, expect the fuel distributor to fail / fuel pumps ( 2 ) to fail if they haven't been changed.

Be sure to keep this thread updated as to how the car is holding up and if a reliable repair ship is found. Sure it is possible that the car is in run forever condition and a good shop could be found but, in her situation being out in the wilderness so to speak, the risk is too great.