View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 12:21 PM

tiny electrical gremlins?

1. I've had my 82 300d for about a year and a half. The other night I was driving and couldn't remember if I'd ever tried the cigarette lighter (I had cleaned the whole thing thoroughly and replaced the burnt out lightbulb, and that is functional).

After popping it in and waiting to no avail, I pulled it out and concluded the lighter did not work. Immediately following this I put my right turn signal on and noticed the arrow indicator was blinking double speed. I pulled over and determined my right rear turn signal bulb was out. Perhaps a coincidence, I replaced with spare in trunk and drove on.

The following morning, however, I noticed my left rear brake bulb was also out - I know this bulb was fine a few days before. Could these two bulbs going out be related to my cig lighter? I'm afraid to try.

2. Another weird one, unrelated, is that 9/10 times when I turn on car at night, one of the dash cluster illumination lights is out. If I give the top of my dash (above the cluster) a very light pat, it always goes back on. What gives? I've had my cluster out, and can't seem to find anything wrong. It's so predictable - and the tap works every time - and the bulb stays lit for the rest of the drive.
1982 300D Turbo
Petrol Blue Green