View Single Post
Old 04-02-2003, 12:08 AM
W126 Lover

Hi Stefan!

Sorry, I haven't checked this forum for a few days, so I only just saw the photos you posted.

Here's the story: the connectors you received with the 2330 should plug directly into corresponding connectors in your dash. This will take care of everything EXCEPT the speakers and the antenna.

The antenna's easy: you need to pick-up an adapter so you can connect your stock antenna's Motorola-style plug into the 2330's Euro-style port.

The speakers are a little tougher to connect, but if you do it right, running new wires directly from the head unit to the drivers, bypassing the stock fader and amps, you may be pleasantly surprised at how good those "very tired stock squeakers" you refer to actually are! (The 2330's internal 4x25W amp is MUCH better than the stock amplification in your '89 Benz.)

Now, I have to point out that I don't know the 300CE--I drive an '89 420SEL--so your speaker layout is undoubtedly different than mine; but the setup should be similar. Again: bypass the fader--if your Benz has one. (You'll now use the 2330's internal fader) and bypass any stock amps. If you do it as suggested, you'll have a four-way system vs. the stock "two-way with fader" system. The improvement in the audio will be dramatic.

The manual that came with the 2330 should have a diagram indicating what each pin on the rear of your unit does. Study it and note which sets of pins drive each specific speaker and be sure to keep straight the (+) and (-) polarities.

One other caveat: I have the Becker 2340 installed in my car. It is VERY similar, but not identical to the 2330 (I think the 2330 must have been intended for the European market.) Anyway, there may be subtle differences in the setup that I'm not aware of which could complicate your installation.

Oh... I almost forgot about the CD changer. ONLY the Becker Silverstone 2660 (6 disc) and 2630 (10 disc) units are completely compatible with the head unit; and alas, they are discontinued and tough to find. The 2660 was stock in older Porsches (referred to as model CDC3). They show up on eBay from time to time.

You can of course install one of those changers that utilize FM modulation to effectively "broadcast" the CD signal through your FM; but the sound quality will suffer and you will not be able to use the available features of the head unit to control it.

Finally, note that, at their core, the Silverstone changers are actually Sony units reprogrammed by Becker. The reason I mention this is to point out that there are completely compatible Sony CD magazines on the market for MUCH MUCH less than Porsche or Becker relabeled versions. (I picked-up 5 of them from a distributor in New Jersey for less than Porsche wanted for one!!!)

All I can tell you is, I absolutely LOVE my 2340. As you know, the face looks GREAT in the Benz: understated and elegant--not flashy. Most importantly, it sounds fabulous compared to the stock Becker I put-up with for years. Lastly, the shortwave feature is unique here in the US. I'm a news junkie by nature; but especially now, with our troops deployed in Iraq, listening to international broadcasts (sans advertising!) is incredibly broadening and enlightening. Bottom Line: This head unit really shortens even the longest drives!

Hope this lengthy disertation helps you with your new setup. Good luck!

1991 560SEL-Euro (214,000 miles)
1989 420SEL (Retired from daily use at 325,000 miles; Use as donor vehicle)