View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 09:40 AM

It does the laundry, walks the dog and waxes the tires while you drive.......

Let's not get too carried away with your expectations. Yes, the Pertronix is a great upgrade but it isn't going to add 20 horsepower to your engine or magically double your mileage. What it will do is reduce, if not eliminate, the "flutter" caused by the Kettering points originally installed on your car.

It is a magnetic switch which gives a more consistent signal to the ignition coil. It won't cure a worn out distributor, bad vacuum advance diaphragm, dilapidated plug wires, vacuum leaks, worn cylinders, improper fueling, etc.

Standard spark plugs are perfectly adequate and any "performance" plugs are a waste of money. NGK BP6ES are the plugs I use.

Been running the Pertronix for three years in my M110 and M115 without any problems using the standard coil. It does seem to "smooth" out the engine and operate more consistently than the original set-up.

I recommend rebuilding the distributor (bushings, seals, advance mechanism, etc.) to get the full value of the upgrade.