View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 08:13 PM

WWYD? Car w/$1000 Elsbett Kit installed for $900

Hi all.

I'd like to get in to SVO/WVO since I have a source.

I'm a huge guy at 7'/350 so I'm pretty much sticking to S class. I have a pair of 83 SDs.

I can get my hands on a 95 E300D with a single tank Elsbett kit for $900 - beat paint, nice interior.

I'm not comfortable in it - it could never be a daily driver without moving the seat mounts. But even as a backup car, I have some concerns about frame damage. It's not really evident in this picture, but the front doors around the window frames are trying to "mush against" the rear frames, while the lower part of the doors lines up better.

Also, it's really rough from a standing start - not sure if that's transmission, motor mounts, etc. When I went to take off the first time, I checked to see if the parking brake was on. Once I got it going and started driving it, it was smooth with plenty of power.

So I'm pretty sure I'm not looking at it for a driver.

I think I'm going to stick with SDs. So if I bought this, I could utilize the lines, pumps, warmers, etc, but wouldn't be able to take advantage of the glow plugs and injectors. So I'd have half a kit, and I'm not sure I can even get the other half piecemeal.

So I'd have about $500 worth of kit, and probably could get that much again selling interior parts and whatever I could wrench off the engine (not equipped to remove it before scrapping the car).

I'm thinking it's going to be a pass - what do y'all think?