View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 03:33 PM
88Black560SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseasel300 View Post
I'm not familiar with the electronic transmissions, but no computer will EVER change your gear ratio. That's a function of the way the gears are cut, no electronic device will have any affect on that. What you CAN change is the shift points if the software will allow it. If you want to change the actual gear ratio, you need to find a suitable transmission shop that can do the work and expect to shell out some big bucks for a custom job!
No it will not change the gear ratio. But the 722.6 transmission will not run if the gear ratio is not what is supposed to be in the car. The MB TCU compares wheel speed and engine speed when the transmission is in 4th gear. If it is not correct for the gear ratio that is supposed to be in the car the transmission goes into limp home mode, and you will get a code that reads "Gang not Plausible". That translates to transmission is slipping in 4th gear. 4th is the only time the transmission runs as a locked up planetary assembly input = output. So the TCU looks to see if your wheels are running a RPM/2.65 in my case. MB did this to help us.

There is whole tale of woe on this in my cars build thread. More to the end of the thread. Search on "M120 into 560SL". In that case the car went into limp home mode because the TCU was expecting a 2.65 gear ratio but the 560SL came with a 2.47. Car worked great if I drove around in 3rd only. It could never get into 4th to make the check.