View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 07:47 AM

Meltedpanda - Thanks a lot for taking the time to crawl around and look at your wiper linkage. What you describe is quite similar to mine. The pivot points on the passenger side of my linkage are a ball-and-socket type, and appear to be in reasonably good condition.

Nothing in the linkage under the dash looks to be overtly damaged, so I am suspecting that something along the lines of what Dobrodan describes in post #8 has happened: a wiper spindle siezed.

I am wondering if it could be the spindle on the driver's side. This spindle was originally broken off at the top, so I drilled it out and tapped it, and inserted a piece of threaded rod to replace the threaded end that broke off. It worked fine for a while until one morning when the wipers quit. I wonder if there are any bearings in the wiper spindles, and if one of them could have seized.

I shot both wiper spindles with some penetrating oil, but I don't have the right spanner wrench to remove the chrome-plated circular covers around them that keep the cowl on.

Now a question for me to ponder is: is it possible to replace and/or service the spindles without removing the dash pad?