View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysilm View Post
This concerns me with my 99 E300TD. Are there any symptoms of these failing? On my car I have a squeaking noise in the front end that I hear whenever I go over speed bumps or any other bump. The best way to describe the sound is that it sounds like a squeaking worn bushing. I have had my front shocks, engine mounts, and lower ball joints replaced received recently. Any idea what could be causing this sound?
Let me tell you my tale of woe with my 96E300d. Car was solid as a rock, quiet, good handling and a motor and tranny as smooth as silk. Driving on a local road, heard what I thought was the car running over a small tree branch. No big deal, and no problem with the car. Parked the car overnight, and when I woke up the next morning, the car was leaning to the passenger side as if I had a flat. Low and behold, the passenger side spring perch had totally given out, taking almost the entire passenger side engine compartment with it. The front spring was also broken in half. The ironic part of the story was that I had the car in to have the tires rotated, and while it was on the lift, I made a point of inspecting the spring perches, and there was no sign of any corrosion and the factory application was totally intact. If I had been driving the car at highway speeds, I would have totally lost control, as the front fender had dropped right onto the passenger side right front wheel. Don't know how Mercedes got away with that design feature!!!!!