View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolvibes View Post
Just to update you guys on what I found measuring a M110:

The other engine I was considering was the M110, and I found a running 280SE close by my house. However, the measurements indicate that this would be too long (a DOHC 6 cylinder longer than a SOHC 5 cylinder, who would imagine that, lol). The firewall to the front of the A/C pulley is 31", and this happens to be the shortest part of my engine compartment. The fan adds 2 1/2" more, for a total of 33 1/2". The W110 is 31" from firewall to radiator, at the deepest point. From above, the firewall is crescent shaped, being deeper in the middle, from where I took the measurements.

The distance from the middle of the M110 engine to the outer side of the P/S pump is 14", so I am not sure if this would clear the Finnie's horn (which can be moved) and handbrake mechanism. Ironically, this is the same area the A/C compressor on the OM617 occupied, and fit. Hmmm.

Is there any way to move the alternator to the top, and the A/C compressor to the bottom on a M110? Maybe that would be more space efficient. Based on these measuremens, the OM617 and the M110 should fit easily in a W111 or W108, which have longer engine compartments than the W110.
Re: M110 dimensions

The M110 block external dimensions are the same as the M180. The M110 is the last version of a series of engines that began with the M180.

All the accessories (steering pump, generator/alternator, and water pump) that are on the M180 can be transferred directly to the M110.
Because the M110 cylinder head is wider, the A/C compressor will be positioned farther outboard; a Sanden, or similar compressor that is compact may help in this area if there is interference.