View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 05:27 PM
ROLLGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillGrissom View Post
One thought, from using the Gen II kit, is perhaps the 4 compressor mounting holes could be tapped. It was quite clumsy trying to get a wrench in the gap to hold a nut on the inside. I replaced one problematic hex bolt on the bottom front w/ an allen bolt since it was easier to get an allen socket on it. Indeed, allen bolts you access from the outside would be easiest, at all locations.
I have been providing Allen bolts for mounting the compressor for quite some time now. I have found it to be no problem at all getting a box wrench between the compressor and plate. I use an air ratchet with an 8mm Allen socket. The new compressor bolts being M10, I doubt it will be as easy to get a 17mm wrench up in there for a standard nut. I found some 14mm hex lock nuts for the M10 bolts. I would have a problem with tapping the tab for two reasons. It is one more machining step that I can avoid, and I would still need to put a nut on the tab side. The all metal lock nuts seem to have solved the problem of those bolts getting loose, and a nut and bolt is easier and less expensive than tapping a hole that needs a nut anyway.