View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 02:09 PM

W123 Rear Fender rust

Hi folks,
My '85 300D has started to get acne in the form of a couple small rust bubbles forming under the paint on the rear fender (on the back side of the wheel well), and I'm heartbroken. The car's been repainted at some point in the past, and I think the rear fenders were replaced (spot welds inconsistent). I know that the only way to fix this properly is to replace the fenders, or at least cut out ALL of the rust and replace it with welded in patch panels. I also know that I've not got the money to pay someone to do that work, plus paint it. I'd eventually like to buy a mig or tig welder and learn to do the bodywork myself, then potentially pay to have the fender blended back in, but that's not going to happen for a while. I'm assuming the water's leaked in around the rear window seal, or possibly around the fuel filler cap.

Is there any way to get some rust inhibitor in between the inner and outer fender panels without major surgery? I know it's not a long term solution, but putting some oil based rust inhibitor in seems like it wouldn't hurt anything. I know that the rust is always worse than it looks.