View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 11:15 AM

Finally...Combining TWO 1985 300D's

Howdy all,
So this is a fresh new thread for what has become the ultimate (hopefully) phase of ending up with a well working and fully enjoyable 1985 300D.

First up, here are the two vehicles, #1 and #2..

For the past yaer or so i've been sorting through Car #1 and it's issues. There are some threads on it.

I just picked up Car #2 two days ago, with the plan to pull varoius aspects of pieces (and work) from Car #1 onto Car#2.

#2 has a good transmission, which was more or less the final hurdle for Car #1 but i came across Car #2 for sale for less than i would have paid just for the transmission job and also was able to acquire a multitude of other major perks along with it. Including fully usable/restorable panels, a Plant Drive biodiesel system, less rust under car, a good exhaust line, and a bunch of stuff that just so happened to cooridnate between the two cards such as certain doors having issues where the other one's doesn't. Complete luck overall.

Car #1 has a bunch of work done to it, which i'm not going to rap on about here. But there are many things i can pull over to car #2, and also there are as is segments on #1 that are better and will be pulled over too. Hood from #1, dash from #1, both front doors from #1, so on and so forth.

Both cars are fully registered and insured and drivable. #2's major issue is the main vacuum pump is not working properly so the engine needs to be manually shut off after key shutoff, the locks are manual of course, and the brakes have no power so it's like pressing concrete blocks. The pads are good though.

I was going to jump right into the pump swap and get #2 to be immediately coasting well, but as i mentioned in other threads #2 has a mold issue in the interior that i need to address. I have to wear a particle mask while driving or else my lungs end up irritated after just 10 minutes driving, even with the windows down.

When i first pulled up to my house the first thing i did was remove all of the floor mats and hang them out to dry. The back left one was fully soaked and dripping. And then then next morning i went and cleaned out the drain holes in left and right side of engine bay which is the main (if not only) cause of water getting to both rear floor mats when it rains.

The problem now is that in the front right floor, the 1/4" padding beneath the floor mats, that is adhered to the "floorboard", is totally soaked still. It does not appear to be easy to dry this out. Below is a picture...

You can even see the water in the circle there. If you press around it, water squishes up from it. It's totally soaked.

What should i do? The drivers side appears to be dry although it might not be perfectly dry underneath of it.

Are these supposed to dry out pretty quickly by design? The thing is, i believe i may have fully caused the passenger side one to be soaked while i was doing testing of cleaning out the drain holes in engine bay as stated above. I thought that it was cleared completely but it turns out there was still a clog deep in, and when pouring water in much of it went down into passenger section. But some of it may have already been there before. I'm not sure. I actualy hope i am completely responsible for the soaking because then maybe it will dry out in a couple days.

Any thoughts? The smell in the car seems to be slowly decreasing but even after having the mats out for 24 hours with windows open i still had to use a mask yesterday eve and my lungs still suffer today from it. I have the edges of most carpeting lifted up to dry but i assume there may be some mold underneat these front floor pads.

Is this pad stuff removable and replaceable? As you can see i lifted up a little square section toward front. Came up pretty easy but falls apart easily so would not be a clean removal but rather a destructive one.

And what is it's purpose? Is it there to prevent sound from under car entering cabin? And general insulation of temperature? What happens if i just remove it for now? Loud and cold car? Could i just dig it all up and out and worry about replacing it later?