View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty190 View Post
Lots to reply to here. Thanks for the info. But first. This is out of a 1996, has no electronics, and is basically a long block.
This makes the project more difficult as you will need to scavenge parts from various sources. Having access to a complete car is a much better way to make a conversion even if it is a non C36.

Quote:
As far as the chip key is concerned that really makes reusing an oem ecu not worth the hassle. Im not expecting plug and play but I am trying to avoid getting too deep into a working system.
A chip key _IS_ plug and play. I've seen many posts on various brands of boards making a big fuss about chip keys for no good reason. Take a valid key , zip tie / tape it into the antenna. Plug antenna into DAS X box. Connect about 10 wires from DAS X box to ECU harness , plug ECU into harness, connect harness to engine. Turn old style ignition key and drive the car. All DAS X takes is 3 small extra parts.

Quote:
Having done work with standalones and reprogramming and swapping chipped keys on ecus before thats its own project. If I can make the ecu believe its in the car it came out of running a stock 3.2 Ill be perfectly happy for the initial phase. It sounds like thats possible with all 1996 s320 stuff.
I forgot about the S320, it used 722.6 with a chip key from 97 to 99. I'm not sure what trans the 96 used. Also be aware that MB sometimes makes changes mid year so be sure to gather build dates when researching parts.