View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusprime View Post
Weep hole is in the bottom of the pump ,and not on the top .I would think its impossible to oil the bearings in the water pumps. Reason is the bearings are sealed .. Once seals wear then water comes frrom the weep hole.Its the shaft that holds the bearing that goes rusty ,it then wears the seal till coolant leaks out. Years back old timers used to put a little suds oil in the radiator to help lubricate the bearings inside the pump.
I read somewhere that a guy was able to lock out the water pump pulley by putting some tool in this hole so he could remove the fan. I forget where, but it might have been on another thread I started about removing the fan. I just grab the water pump pulley firmly and lean on it the opposite direction I turn the fan bolt with my cheater bar.

As far as a weep hole. yeah that would be on the bottom, but who knows... Maybe they put it on the top so you would notice the weeping and replace the pump.

As far as oil in that hole,
This was posted in my other thread about putting oil in that hole:
"the seal has a rubber bellows that will be deteriorated by the oil. This rubber bellows is what usually fails when a water pump starts to weep"

If it's making noise from that hole (Like the original poster of this thread said)... There might be some kind of lube that is not oil based and is safe for rubber that you could put in there. Or maybe if you truly put 1 or two drops of oil in there you'd be ok... Better to not risk it.

historical note... Old timers would run kerosene in their tractor radiators, (no thermostat) because it was a PIA to get antifreeze. My great grampa did it and an internet search confirms it wasn't that rare back in the day.

Last edited by ChrisArnt; 10-20-2017 at 10:15 AM.