View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 11:56 PM
Dieseldiehard

I was just speaking with a local friend here and he also mentioned it might be an airbubble.
I went out and removed the fuel cap when it was still light and the fuel was still up to the top, a half pint more and it would have spilled out, so I pln to drive it around the block once or twice to see if I can dislodge a bubble and recheck it.
If that fails it looks like I will have to take another trip in the bomb, and a much longer one next time to rack up maybe 200 miles or more but the thing is for trips I prefer my E320 wagon (OK, its a gasser but what a kick to drive and so usefull,,,,)
Or for good balance beteen torque, handling and economy plus some modern conveniences I prefer the 99 E300D, what a great road car! If I could only have a 124 wagon with the 24valve diesel and a 5 speed I would sell everything and be happy

DDH uh. my wife says I have too many cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseasel300 View Post
I've gotten strange results in my SDL doing fuel economy like you're doing. I can only assume there's an air bubble that gets trapped in the top of the tank and fiddles with the amount of fuel you can add. Anything less than 4 gallons and the results can get weird. I once measured fuel economy of 32mpg in stop/go city traffic in the SDL on a short fill like that. I can assure you, the SDL can NOT do that kind of fuel economy in stop/go traffic with the A/C running. Anything 10 gallons or greater and I return consistent fuel economy numbers. I average 23mpg in stop/go traffic with A/C and 28mpg in highway traffic doing 75mph with the A/C cranked. I'm also running a 3.5L IP, which I tuned a couple months ago. Before that, I was doing 16/18mpg - terrible.

Reply got a bit rambly - my point is - Do fuel economy data with half a tank or more fillups. Less leaves large room for error!