View Single Post
Old 10-26-2017, 03:42 AM

Mercedes OM606 Fuel Pump

Hello,
I'm new to this entire Mercedes Diesel scene, and I am thinking about swapping one into my truck.

I have a 1990 Jeep Comanche, and originally had the idea of a stroker motor, however I ended up selling it off, and was wanting something else instead. Fast forward, I found out about the OM617, but I was not satisfied with its performance. So, I heard about an OM606, and the ability to swap it to a rear sump, and I knew I HAD to have it. The dimensions are very similar to the Jeep 4.0, and the weight and rev range as well. I just have a few questions that I couldn'd find online anywhere.

First of all, can I use the OM606 pump with a standalone ECU? I get why everone likes to be fully mechanical, however I would assume the ECU would be programmable(sort of like a "chip" in a diesel that lets you load separate tunes, I.E. tow tune, high HP tune, conservative tune, etc.) If that were the case, I'd love to get the electronic pump bored to a bigger size, so I could make more HP, and have it adjustably tuned by a switch.

My second question would be, why are there no rebuild kits for an OM606? I was planning on picking one up with higher miles for cheap, and I was going to possibly get it honed, if necessary, and bored if it's that bad, then re-ring, pistons if required, and get crank polished, but I cannot find many of these parts online.

Another reason I'd love to keep the electronic pump is I live in California, and I will be required to have all of the smog parts from the existing car(the E300D) installed on my Jeep, in order for it to get refereed and pass smog.

I apologize if these questions have been asked before, however I can't seem to find answers to these online. Thank you again for any tips and advice.