View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 01:50 PM

98 E320 - Replaced Trans Plug Adapter and Cleaned TCU - What Else?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of your support in the past in resolving problems with my various mercedes.

About a year ago, I experienced the transmission in my 1998 E320 acting up by whining and slipping. After reading the forum, I found that the plug adapter from the transmission was contaminated with oil. I replaced the plug adapter and was surprised when I experienced the same symptoms a year later. I checked the plug adapter and sure enough it was coated with oil. I cleaned the plug and adapter and ordered a new adapter 2 months ago but did not get a chance to install it. A few days ago, the transmission started whining and slipping so I installed the new plug adapter. This time it did not cure the problem. After 10 minutes or so, when the transmission is at operating temperature, the symptoms start. I checked the TCU and it had oil in it. I cleaned it with contact cleaner and it does not seem to be dirty any more and I cleaned the plugs and wiring. This has not cured the problem. Should my next step be to swap the TCU?

Thanks in advance for your help.