View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 09:21 PM

New capacitors came in today so I recapped the EDS computer this evening. Only 1 of the capacitors was any good, the bulk of them didn't even return a capacitance reading when checked with a Philips capacitor tester.

The difference of before/after is PROFOUND. With the EDS solenoid plugged in, the car idles just as smooth as it does with it unplugged now. More interesting than that is the throttle response when returning to idle. Prior to the recap job, the RPM would typically drop to ~800 RPM, then slowly reduce back to 650 or so where the idle speed was set. Occasionally the RPM would stick ~900-1000 RPM and nothing you did would get it back. Unplugging the EDS solenoid would drop it immediately. Post-recap, the idle speed drops immediately to the idle setpoint. None of this weird coasting business, and so far, no hangups at 1000ish RPM either.

The lack of idle shake is a major accomplishment in my opinion. I have ~25 PSI compression difference between cylinder balance, so the engine will never be 100% smooth, but without the EDS enabled, the idle was smooth enough that you didn't notice the car idling. With EDS enabled, on a good day there was a very slight wobble. On a bad day, it would rock the car enough to spill your coffee (not exaggerating, ask my lap). I can only assume it was reacting to that very slight imbalance and buildup of tolerances sending it wildly out of control. Sitting at a stop light would usually have the car rocking by the time the light turned green. It doesn't do that any longer.

I still plan to pull codes and will report back with longer term results. I'm interested to see what the A/C does on the highway on the next warm day.