View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 12:54 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseasel300 View Post
Returned the car yesterday evening and topped off the tank. 129 miles on 3.59 gallons of fuel. That's 35.93mpg with 95% interstate driving. Completely unremarkable economy when you consider the auto start/stop, the fancy automated-manual transmission, electric power steering, and all the other fuel-saving business on that car. My Accord will get economy within 1% of that in the same driving conditions and it's twice the size, 7 years older, has a traditional automatic transmission (the most unreliable one Honda ever made), has no eco-madness (last year they did with no variable cylinder), and has way more power.

For comparison, the SDL did 29.4mpg on a recent highway trip. That was at 75mph with the A/C on. THAT is actually pretty impressive considering it's a 31 year old barge and has no fancy economy improving features at all.

I'm sure there's ways to get higher economy out of the car I was driving if you live with it and learn to use its quirks, but that isn't the point. If the fuel saving features are actually worthwhile, they'll save fuel and cut emissions with ANYONE at the wheel, and without that irritating start/stop business. When it's below freezing and raining, I want my heat!!!
To be fair, the auto stop is for stop and go traffic, not interstate so I am not surprised that your interstate driving MPG is not remarkable. My guess is that if the driving were 95% city I think the results would be different.

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.