View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Dieseldiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseasel300 View Post
And because I felt like it, I ran fuel economy data after the tuning I did this past Friday. When I fill the tank for fuel economy data, I fill it all the way up into the filler neck so there's no question the tank is full.

This time around I did 76.0 miles (actually clicked over as I parked at the gas station!) on 2.862 gallons of diesel. That comes out to 26.55mpg, 100% stop/go "city" traffic with A/C running. Unlike the previous time, I drove like a normal person without romping on the skinny pedal.

I think my tuning is complete! Plenty of power without any smoke, and now very good fuel economy. My Honda does ~22mpg for the same driving for comparison. And it's A/C isn't as cold!

Just goes to show that yes, the 3.5L injection pump CAN be used in a 3.0L engine, but needs to be tuned for best results.
Yes a properly adjusted 3.5l IP can work very well on a 603, I finally did everything right, the first time I must have had an air bubble in the filler neck and had an error.
This time I filled to the line on the neck of my '87 300D fitted with 3.5L pump (set up and calibrated at the Bosch shop) took a trip and 328 miles later I filled back up to the same level with 11.6 gals.
With a calibrated speedometer at 70MPH its less than 2% error
Thats a mileage figure of 28.27 MPG.
This was mostly (95%) freeway miles with as constant a speed around 65-70MPH as I could achieve without my cruise control working and a few brief spurts to 80. No AC.
I think thats better than I ever got before I replaced the stock IP and had the injectors pop tested. My friend said if I filled the tires with a few more Pounds of air and stuck at 60MPH I might make 30MPG but thats something I am never going to do
DDH