View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 10:01 AM
grzpdlr

Paint Job

Many years ago I was running a sugar mill in Los Angeles and had a Chief Chemist than drove a really ugly 70's Pontiac. Well he went back to Corporate for something and left his car at the plant. I had the guys in the Machine shop freshen the motor, then let the girls in the lab have at the interior and they did a fantastic job and it looked like new. Then I told two guys to take it over to Earl Scheibs. At the time ole Earl was endlessly running the ad "I'll paint any car, any color for $39.95, no ups, no extras" Well later in the afternoon I spotted the two guy and ask them why they didn't take the car like I asked. They said "we did, and we're back. They didn't even make us get out of the car"

Well, fast forward 35 plus years, and I bought a really nice 240D but the paint was a little rough. I go down to the same Earl Shiebs and negotiate a deal with a few extras for $700 out the door. Five years later it still looks pretty good. Could have spent a lot more but quite frankly on a 38 year old car it would pretty much have been polishing a horse turd.

Last edited by Grzpdlr; 11-17-2017 at 11:09 AM.