View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTurbo001 View Post
Probably true about the boxer four - I measured the 2.5 in the '02 Outback the other day and it's 31" wide but only 17" long. Keeps the bell housing bolts way out in the open.

Good word about the 245. I shall keep that in mind. Any known OM617 swaps into one?
Doable, but you will have to do a lot of work for the 617 oil pan to clear the volvo engine cradle. It is in exactly the wrong position for the 617. Directly under the low oil pan, and possibly some suspension geometry issues modifying it. I encountered this issue in another (chevy chassis type) swap and went to considerable trouble to notch and rebuild the engine cradle so I could drop the engine down low enough to fit. Apart from things hitting in the wrong place and making things strong enough, there is plenty of room from what I remember. Its a long engine bay.

Honestly, the volvo red blocks are bulletproof. If you do decide to find one for the wife, just keep it stock. It will last every bit as long as the 617, and will be easier to repair.

Last edited by JB3; 11-22-2017 at 02:43 PM.