View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 11:28 PM
dieselarchitect

Coolest car design ever built?

I think so. This is the Pontiac Vivant.

Technically should not be called a Pontiac but it was built by Herb Adams when he was an engineer at Pontiac. It has a Pontiac based engine with a load of Pontiac HI Po parts in it from super duty engines etc. It has a tube frame, advanced suspension based on racing concepts, two seats, a hand formed aluminum body and the perfect touch the Pontiac brake integrated 8 lug wheels (like my Bonneville had).

The tail is heavily reminiscent of the Alfa Bat designs of the early fifties, while the front is the best rendition of the Pontiac dual nostrils which were based on the Ferrari Formula one car, the 163 (IRRC) which Phil Hill drove to the championship in 1961.

it is the most perfect design I ever saw. Still looks astonishing today.

What is very very surprising to me is this car has existed for over 50 years and I've never come across it. I first saw it this month in Octane. I typically read 6 or 8 car magazines pretty much cover to cover and have done so since I was about ten, though in the beginning there were not that many car mags out there to read.
Attached Thumbnails
Coolest car design ever built?-pontiac-vivant-1.jpg   Coolest car design ever built?-pontiac-vivant-2.jpg   Coolest car design ever built?-pontiac-vivant-4.jpg   Coolest car design ever built?-pontiac-vivant-3.jpg   Coolest car design ever built?-pontiac-vivant-5.jpg  

[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.

Last edited by t walgamuth; 12-03-2017 at 11:53 PM.