View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 09:10 PM
https://fintail.org

I started with the B1 piston (the trickiest one, for which this tool is required). The socket can be positioned to the ideal place.

There is a washer and bolt on each side of the arm. Each one should be snug against the arm. The inner one is loosened, then the outer one is tightened. This helps keep the arm from tilting. Have patience and make sure that the piston is being compressed evenly on all sides. The socket can be repositioned with much care. Don't rush it and make a mistake!

Once the piston is compressed just enough to remove the circlip, pry it off at the notch with a flatblade screwdriver.

Turn the arm nuts the other way, loosening the outer nuts while tightening the inner nuts. Be very careful to not let the tool go off center or slip off. This could very easily become a disaster if you are not patient and meticulous. Turn out the arm just far enough to reach the O-ring with a pick. If you go too far, the metal piston ring further in could pop out, and there is also a pushrod which could pop out of place. Fortunately, my tool stops against the tunnel before going too far. Remove the old O-ring and install the new one. Don't get them mixed up or let dirt get inside.

Before pushing the piston cover back in, take a look inside the transmission by the corner of the valve body to make sure the pushrod is still in the hole. You can't see it in the picture, but it's right where the 8 is. If it's popped out, you'll have to stick something up in there to push it back in.

Start turning the arm nuts inward to compress the piston cover, doing whatever is necessary to make sure it goes in straight. If it tilts, it will bind up and the O-ring can get cut on the sharp hole edges. Once it's in far enough, push the circlip back in place. I put the gap at the bottom, so it has a weep hole effect.

Then slowly let the arm back out and make sure that the piston is rested back up against the circlip and not tilted. Congratulations, you have done the first one!

The tool can also be used on the B2 piston, which is under much less tension. Same rules apply.

DON'T MESS WITH MY MERCEDES!

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Highly Optioned, 350,000+ Miles