View Single Post
Old 04-06-2003, 07:37 PM
Another View. . .

Question But What To Believe?

First, on the subject of media, I spend a lot of time getting my news from various international news sources just to see what they're saying. Here's a link to a good source: Mario's Cyberspace Station

You want unbiased news? Make it yourself. Here's a recipe:

Take everything you have been taught, add what you have learned by life experience, mix with common sense, logic, emotion and every shred of information available. Allow to marinate in your brain until a head forms. Remove solid facts from liquid concepts, use what works for you, and store what remains for later use. Repeat as often as required.

The point is that there isn't any source of unbiased news. Everyone has an opinion on any topic, and that opinion is biased. Even an opinion formed by looking at both sides of an issue and trying to make a logical and informed decision about what your opinion of that issue is, can be called biased. Why? because we all see things differently based upon personal life experience, our own values, and what we see as being correct and/or proper.

You want to see something weird? This, in my opinion is weird:

War Crimes

And I say it's weird, because I find it strange that there is so much factual reference to laws, treaties, agreements, accords, and various other legalities. But then, there's the body of this article, which is absolutely biased propaganda that has no basis in fact at all. But I suppose that any source of information can be educational.

I watched a piece on CNN last night that featured Winston S. Churchill, grandson of the WWII British Prime Minister. I was astounded by his insight. Someone else here, having seen the exact same broadcast, might feel that he was an idiot who knew nothing, and had nothing to contribute to the discussion. Or that CNN only had him on because his grandfather was famous.

Then, on the other hand, we have the Iraqi Information Minister, Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf. He is clearly the most inaccurate single news source in the world today. Yet, many people actually believe him when he claims that it is our government that is deceiving our people through trickery, and that the images we show on TV were produced in Hollywood. "There are no American soldiers at the Saddam International airport. I will take you there on Saturday, and show you personally".

I hope he knows that as long as he's wearing that uniform, he's a legitimate military target.

Scott Longston
Northern California Wine Country...
"Turbos whistle, grapes wine..."