View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strelnik View Post
Congrats! Have you limited your choice of WVO in any way?
Yes, I get my oil from Asian restaurants. I let it sit around for a couple of weeks to a couple of months, then pour it slowly into a 5-gal bucket lined with a Home Depot paint strainer. When the first chunk of junk from the bottom falls in, or when the first streak of milky oil shows up (e.g. water), I stop pouring. I pull the strainer out and pour that bucket into my trunk tank. From there it goes through a tall Davco filter (forget the model number). I get around 1200 - 2000 miles from a $9 10-micron filter which I buy by the case every couple of years. From my experience, water will clog the filter faster than particulate.

After the chunks or water show up and I stop pouring, I then pour the rest of that container into a secondary holding bucket. That's usually about 20% by volume. Eventually I get the secondary bucket filled up with contaminated oil. I let that sit around for a couple weeks or month, and then pour what I can off the top of that one, usually a gallon or two. Then the rest of that secondary bucket goes into the recycling bin.

I have also found that looking for "free" oil is pretty much a waste of time. If I'm asking a restaurant owner/manager for waste oil, I start the conversation out by holding out a $10 bill.

Jim